Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig settles financial claims

Embed from Getty Images 

 June 30, 1928

Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig IV of Hesse and by the Rhine once ruled "over a territory about one-third the size of New Jersey, until he lost his throne in the revolution that followed the end of the world war in November 1918.

According to the AP's dispatch, "lawyers have grown fat in the ten years it has taken to settle the financial details connected with the grand duke's abdication." Ernst Ludwig has "finally relinquished all claims on land and other property estimated worth $6,000,000," which is now owned by the free state of Hesse. In return for this renunciation, the former Grand Duke, a grandson of Queen Victoria, will receive $250,000 in cash, and a total of $8,000,000 "spread over a period of 20 years." This means Ernst Ludwig will have an annual allowance of about $400,000 a year.

His mother, Alice, was the second daughter and third child of Queen Victoria. His eldest sister, Victoria, is married to the former Prince Louis of Battenberg, who, in 1917, was created Marquess of Milford Haven. Another sister, Irene, married Prince Henry of Prussia, younger brother of the Kaiser. Two sisters, Elisabeth and Alix, married into the Russian Imperial family. Elisabeth, known as Ella, was the wife of Grand Duke Serge, and Alix was the consort of Nicholas II. Both sisters were killed by the Bolsheviks in July 1918.

Ernst Ludwig and his second wife, Eleonore, have two sons, Georg Donatus, and Ludwig.

5 comments:

MAXny said...

Hello baseball lover!
I view your blog probably 10 times a day and I was wondering are many of your articles your personal property?
I'm just curious to know how did you arquire so many of these articles.
Can you explain how you do what you do.
Am I making sense. I hope so!
Also, is it possible that you can post some of your own work. It would be appreciated.

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Max, the stories are mine. I base the stories on articles from the NYTimes, the Chicago Tribune and the LA Times ... and I write articles around the news stories and use quotes. None of the articles here are full text from the newspapers. Notice I use the word "report". Only material with quotes comes from the original articles. I have access to these databases. I look at what happened on this day and rewrite - and provide fillers. Everything here is my copyright.

MAXny said...

Thank you for the explanation. Now that I know how much work you put into your blog, I love it even more.
Can you post the article you did about the deaths of Prince Ludwig Rudolph & Princess Isabelle of Hanover. I think it was in "Royalty Magazine" some years ago.
Thank you.

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

I do not have a stored copy on my computer as that article was written on a typewriter in the late 1980s. I would have to retype the entire article and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

MAXny said...

Ok!