Friday, July 20, 2012

Happy Birthday ... to my favorite actress



Today Dame Diana Rigg, DBE, celebrates her 74th birthday.  I have been an admirer of her work for many years, and have seen all but two of her stage performances since 1970, when my grandmother took me to see Abelard and Heloise in New York City.  I have had the pleasure of knowing Dame Diana for some years now.  I saw her last June in London, when she played Mrs. Higgins in a production of Pygmalion.    She played the definitive Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion directed by John Dexter in 1974, which I had the pleasure to see during a trip to London. 

These photos were taken in Dame Diana's dressing room in June 2011.  She looks good. I look dorky.

Earlier this year, Diana  underwent knee surgery, and is now recovered.  She recently appeared in an episode of Doctor Who with her daughter, actress Rachael Stirling.  She is currently playing the role of Olenna Tyrell,  Queen of Thorns, in the HBO series , Game of Thrones.  The third series begins on March 31, 2013.  [Memo: must add HBO to channel lineup next year.]

1 comment:

emily said...

After seeing the Victoria & Albert miniseries, Lehzen will forever look like Diana Rigg to me. (Ditto with David Suchet and Stockmar.) :)